Sat, Aug 14|
Wilbur Cross Parking Lot
Shifting Gears / Hill Climbing
Enjoy this hands-on outdoors class that challenges you to a fun hill-ride experience!
Time & Location
Aug 14, 2021, 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM EDT
Wilbur Cross Parking Lot, 181 Mitchell Dr, New Haven, CT 06511, USA
About the Event
This class will teach you how to use your gears for efficient shifting to ride up and down hills.
Requirements for All Participants
- Must be able to ride a bicycle for at least one mile
- Bring a bike in good working condition
- Bring a properly fitting bicycle helmet. Free new helmets will be given to all who need one.
- Sign the NHCAT waiver
- Bring a bottle of water, light snacks or fruit, and sunblock
- Bring a face mask in case you are asked to wear one while indoors
*Requirements for Minors 14-17
Minors from 14 to 17 are welcome but must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian for the duration of each class, including any group ride. Parents/guardians must sign a waiver for the minor(s).
Shifting the gears on a bicycle can be a daunting task at first, with a lot of gear options and two derailleurs to keep track of. In addition to braking, shifting gears on a bike is one of the fundamental mechanical functions of the bike. Learning how to effectively shift gears is a basic skill that continues to grow and improve even for veteran riders. Proper shifting will increase speed, reduce rider fatigue, and improve endurance. After learning about shifting gears, the group will practice their skills on a pleasant uphill ride.